The International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE) is a scientific / technical Association comprising members in 100 countries and counting 55 National Groups worldwide. Founded in 1929 it has its seat in Zurich, Switzerland. The President of IABSE (2019-2023) is Yaojun Ge, China.
IABSE deals with all aspects of structural engineering: the science and art of planning, design, construction, operation, monitoring and inspection, maintenance, rehabilitation and preservation, demolition and dismantling of structures, taking into consideration technical, economic, environmental, aesthetic and social aspects. The term 'Structures' includes bridges, buildings and all types of civil engineering structures, composed of any structural material.
The aim of the Association is to exchange knowledge and to advance the practice of structural engineering worldwide in the service of the profession and society.
IABSE has the following objectives:
For this purpose, the Association:
- to promote cooperation and understanding among all those concerned with structural engineering and related fields by worldwide exchange of knowledge and experience
- to encourage awareness and responsibility of structural engineers towards the needs of society
- to encourage actions necessary for progress in structural engineering
- to improve and foster cooperation and understanding between organisations having similar objectives.
- Organises conferences worldwide
- Publishes the high quality journal SEI
- Publishes books reflecting the work of its Technical Groups
- Creates technical groups, as required by new needs and technological progress
- Offers the possibility to join activities within National Groups of IABSE
- Offers a programme for young engineers
- Presents Annual Awards