General Manager of Structural Systems
The Business: Want a new career future-proofing the structural steel industry in New Zealand?
HERA creates value through collaboration and being the industry stimulus for research, innovation and development in heavy engineering (based on metals, primarily steel). We deliver a trusted national centre for design, manufacturing technology and quality assurance. Our vision is to build tomorrow’s industry by innovating today.
We are seeking a General Manager to lead the Structural Systems Division at the HERA Headquarters in Auckland, New Zealand.
The principal tasks for the successful candidate will be:
What you will bring
- To develop the strategic plan for the Structural Systems division and oversee its implementation.
- Supervision, coordination and peer review of work from other structural engineers.
- Project manage internal and collaborative research projects
- Research and development of design rules and tools promoting the proper and effective use of structural steel
- Lead industry research and consulting activities, such as product development work, specialist consultancy, etc.
- Report writing, authoring design guides and technical papers for external audiences and journals.
- Technical networking outside HERA, with external representation on committees.
- External lecturing at CPD courses and seminars.
- Representation on AS/NZS standards development committees.
Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will have:
Why work for us?
- A minimum of a MSc degree in Structural Engineering with at least 5-years’ experience in the design of steel-framed buildings and infrastructure;
- Previous experience as a team leader of a high performing team within an R&D/consulting role.
- Preferably a PhD degree.
- A reputation and profile for delivering large complex projects within key performance targets.
- Experience in seismic (particularly connections), fire and/or composites engineering.
- Impressive interpersonal and communications skills.
- A collaborative style, someone who enjoys giving and receiving feedback. A strong communicator.
- Experience in steel-related sustainability highly regarded.
- Experience in standards development desirable.
- A flexible work environment
- A dynamic mix of R&D, consulting, training and thought leadership.
- Career development (the previous incumbent moved into a Professorial role at University of Warwick).
- Free carparking.
Applicants should submit their CV and cover letter to the CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Review of applications will begin 24 June 2019 and continue until the position is filled. A competitive salary package, which will include an attractive performance-based component, will be offered in line with experience. People from diverse backgrounds who meet the criteria above are strongly encouraged to apply. For further information, please contact Troy on +61 (02) 9262 4848.