IABSE motivates and encourages young members, researchers and practitioners to share their experiences and learn with their more experienced colleagues and help them build-up their professional network at an early age.
The Association launched the Young Engineers Programme (YEP) in cooperation with the Australian Group of IABSE at the IABSE Symposium in Melbourne 2002. As a result of its success, the Programme has since then been repeated at every IABSE Symposia and the local events of IABSE National Groups.
The YEP's objectives are to:
- Actively support the objectives of IABSE, with the focus on issues relevant to young engineers
- Increase the participation of young members in the Association's activities.
- Increase the activities for young engineers under their leadership during the IABSE events
- Facilitate international networking with more experienced and senior members
- Encourage the growth IABSE Membership
Here is an example of the benefits offered to Young Engineers under 35, at the IABSE events:
- Reduced conference fee and free IABSE membership for the following year of the conference
- Two prizes of 2,000 CHF each, awarded to outstanding contributions personally presented by the author (paper or poster).
- YEP Social Event
- Networking with IABSE Fellows
The YEP is supported by IABSE Fellows and the Organising Committee of the IABSE Conference. It is open to all young engineers, member (younger than 35 years) or non-member participating in IABSE Symposia or Conference.
The Belgian and Dutch National Groups of IABSE have the pleasure of inviting you to attend the jointly organized Young Engineers Colloquium 2019 (YEC2019) on 15 and 16 March 2019 at Eindhoven University of Technology in The Netherlands. YEC2019 is especially meant for young engineers to exchange knowledge internationally, with the focus on Belgium and the Netherlands. The colloquium is open to all professionals interested in structural engineering regardless their age, but apart from the keynote speaker, all presenters are young engineers under 35 years of age.
IABSE Young Engineers Colloquium in East Asia
(Tongji University, Shanghai, China)
The IABSE Young Engineers Colloquium in East Asia was jointly organized for the first time by the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Groups of IABSE. The colloquium was initiated by Profs. Shunichi Nakamura, Limin Sun and Hyun-Moo Koh in April 2018. Photos from Colloquium.
On October 4th 2018, the eighth edition of the Young Engineers’ Symposium (YES2018) took place at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts. More than 80 participants from all over Switzerland used the opportunity to attend inspiring speeches from industry experts, interesting presentations by young engineers, and discussions about prevailing civil engineering topics during interactive seminars. Of course, YES2018 also served as a great platform to meet friends and connect with colleagues from other engineering offices,
Photos from the Symposium