The Scientific Committee of the IABSE Congress Ghent 2021 is pleased to offer the structural engineering
community an interesting technical programme to discuss and contribute to the theme ‘Structural
Engineering for Future Societal Needs’. Future societal needs comprise building and maintaining safe and
reliable buildings and infrastructures while coping with the effects of climate change in a world with scarcer resources and satisfying the ambition to reduce mankind’s CO2 footprint.
Sub-themes are therefore amongst others:
* Structural safety and reliability with respect to climate change
* Circularity, re-use and sustainability of structures
* Emission free building of structures
Our call for sub-themes resulted in four interesting special sub-themes connected to the main Congress theme:
* Enhancing resilience of civil infrastructure to hurricane and thunderstorm hazards under changing climate
* Structural bearings and anti-seismic devices: innovation, standards and testing requirements
* Towards extending the service life of existing concrete infrastructure through advanced assessment methods
* Concepts and methods for the performance assessment of existing structures.